The village of Comrie in Perthshire, Scotland, lies either side of the River Earn, seven miles to the west of Crieff and at the meeting point of Glens Lednock and Artney. To the north, up and through Aberfeldy and Pitlochry, are the Scottish Highlands, to the south are Stirling, Edinburgh and Glasgow whilst to the west, along the A85, lies Loch Earn and on to Oban, Glencoe and the Western Isles.
Called Victoria by the Romans, Aberlednock by the Picts, Comrie gained its current Gaelic name (which means together flowing – a reference to the confluence of the rivers Lednock, Artney and Earn) when the Scots invaded the area in the 7-8th Century.
Comrie is a thriving community with excellent local amenities and shops. It has a number of pubs and restaurants, a post office, delicatessen, art gallery, grocers, baker and butcher, as well as a medical centre and a dentist.
To the west of the village, and up the road which passses to the side of Glen Cottage, is the Deil’s Cauldron, a waterfall on the River Lednock, and above that, perched high on a hill top, is a granite obelisk commemorating Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville. There are excellent walks from the cottage up Glen Lednock and through the woods to the Deil’s Cauldron and then on to the monument, the Shaky Bridge and Loch Lednock reservoir.
To the immediate south of the town centre can be found the old Cultybraggan Army Camp. This was built in 1939 to house prisoners of war and is now the only remaining intact POW camp in Britain . Several of its buildings are listed buildings and the site has recently been purchased in a community buy-out by the Comrie Development Trust to provide amenities to the village.